10 November 2007

Day 1 Part-C

I don't know how close we were to the International Date line before I fell asleep. I had really wanted to stay awake for the crossing. Perhaps I can do so on my retun flight. We had crossed into Saturday morning. I like to amuse myself to say when Merly and I communicate, she is talking into the past whereas I am talking into the future. When I departed san francisco Thursday evening, it was already Friday evening Manila time. So by crossing the dateline, we jumped from Thurday evening to Saturday morning. At least that is how I understand it. What woke me was an announcement from the cabin crew of some kind of medical emergency and asked the passengers if a doctor was on board. My immediate thought of how many times I have watched this scenario of an in flight emergency and an announcement if a doctor was on board. My mind began forming my own scenarios of which some kind of thriller was unfolding. By this time into the flight, I had to stand up and stretch the legs abit. I had taken off my shoes and wiggled my toes. My goodness that simple wiggle action was so enjoyable! I walked to the back of the cabin, did a couple bends at the waist then returned to my seat just in time for the third movie Your Mom is Cute starring Ai Ai delas Alas and Anne Curtis. Even though it was partially subtitled, I was still able to understand some of the Tagalog. I wonder how long it will be until I can have a decent conversation in Tagalog. I am grateful of my knowledge to this point. I am certain Merly is proud of my efforts to know and use the language and I will be a pleasant surprise to the people when I demonstate some of the customs and courtesies.


Even though there were moments when I fell asleep, I was able to follow the movie well enough to know what was going on. From my perspective I only blinked; but, I suspect reality says I was asleep several mintues at a time. When the movie concluded, we were close to landing in Guam for what is called a technical stop. I think the definition meant refueling. The landing in Guam was about 330am local time. Another approximate 2.5 hours of flight time to Manila. The technical stop lasted almost an hour then we were back into the air. I gazed at the GPS data and noted Im getting closer to my Merly. Just a few more hours and I will meet her finally. I snuggled in my blanket as the in flight movie Evan Almighty was repeated. This time I watched and listened. As it turned out, the movie was quite entertaining. I was suspicious of the movie because I did not bother to see the first movie Bruce Almighty starring Jim Carry as I am not totally impressed with him.
After the movie, breakfast of rice, scrambled egg, sausage, bread roll fruit chunks and juice was served. Again I noted how good the meal was. I also noted that my approval may have been because I was more ready to eat than I would actually admit. My hunger was appeased. Again we encountered some turbulence (2nd or 3rd time) and for the moment, it was very bouncy. I was wondering what the situation was for the flightcrew in the cockpit. For a moment I imagined this aircraft was a starship and the turbulent shaking was actually the result of phaser power impacting our protective shields. It was an amusing thought and I dismissed it as the wallscreen displayed the latest GPS data as we approached Manila. It was this time I put my shoes back on and felt a sense of excitement as we were in Philippine airspace. Soon enough, we were making our decent from 38000 feet and making final approach. Being on the aisle seat of the middle section I was able to see some of Manila as we made our approach to our designated runway. I was not able to see much so I could not make an accurate assessment of my thoughts of actually seeing a foreign country. I mostly kept my attention to the GPS data as the altitude, speed decreased then I felt the touchdown of the aircraft tires and the roar of the engines as the crew began braking procedures.
From what I could observe of the weather from my view, it seemed overcast. My experience could only tell me overcast usually meant cool weather. That chain of neural pathways was about to have a new experience. As the aircraft taxied to the designated gate, the senior cabin crew came on the PA system and said the standard announcements of passenger information in both English and Tagalog. Finally, after approximately 15 hours of flight time I was in the Philippines. It took about 10 minutes to disembark from the aircraft and I followed the other passengers to customs and immigration. The first thing I noticed when I got the the customs area was the warmer temperature. That was expected and not so much a shock. I stood in line and it took about 10-15 minutes before I finally reached the agent. While I waited in line, I observed about 100+ people waiting, smiling and waving to the passengers getting processed with customs. I had already spoken with Merly that her elder sister Loly, elder brother William and niece Eunice would meet me; but, there was part of me if Eunice would recall what I looked liked. My other concern was if I would be able to recognize any of them. My time in line came so I presented my passport and after examination, he stamped it and I was allowed to pass through. I was now officially-legally in the Philippines. I proceeded to the baggage claim carousel to find it already full in progress and a good sized crowd surrounding the carousel. I stood waiting for my bag to appear and noticed that some baggages were making their third and fourth circuit on the track. The flashing thoughts of my bag being lost was growing yet I refused to let the thought take root in my mind. I reminded myself that my gear was among the other 350+ passengers that flew with me. What I need to do is demonstrate that sense of patience I have established my personality with. I took a slow deep breath and watched as more baggage appeared on the carousel. On a couple of ocassions, I assisted some ladies to retrieve their oversized and heavy luggage off the carousel track. Again my thoughts of how to contact Merly now I landed and passed through customs. How would ate Loly, kuya William and Eunice find me? I redirected my attention to spotting my bag and noticed some items making their fourth and fifth circuits. I would guess my actually wait time was about fifteen minutes. It did feel much longer in consideration I was with the mindset of someone was waiting for me. Then my bag appeared on the carousel track. I felt a sense of both amusement and relief for its appearance. Amused because I was not exercising my sense of patience and relieved it was not lost and on its way to Canada or Spain hahahahahahah. I grabbed the bag off the track and adjusted the straps to configure it to Backpack mode and slung it on. I noticed an elderly lady watching me make the strap configuration then hoist the bag on. I smiled then walked away to my final security check to verify my baggage claim. Once my bag matched my ticket, I asked the agent where the currency exchange was located and he redirected me to the correct direction. I replied thank you in Tagalog; Maraming Salamat Po and he smiled back. While in line, my bag was getting heavy so I took it off and slid it along with me. Without my asking, a young man wearing staff clothing and had his ID draped around his neck took my bag and placed it with others he was guarding. Again I said Salamat and he had a bright smile response then quickly resumed his serious manner. I was now one person away from making my exchange transaction. The man ahead of me was carrying I think about 3000 USD. Each bill had to be inspected for authenticity a few times. The entire transaction took about 5-7 minutes. As I watched the transaction I kept thinking perhaps I will should increase my amount to convert. I actually ended up converting 225 USD for now. I would let Merly hold the pesos and manage the spending. I trusted her without any reservation. After my transaction, I retrieved my bag and again thanked the man guarding the bags. I passed through the last security point into the Philippine air and was smacked from all sides of the humidity. The moment reminded me of the humidity encounter when I was a teenager in Florida when I stepped off the plane onto the stairwell. I had prepared myself for the increased heat; but, the humidity was still a foreign concept. My body is adapted to the dry heat of California. I had thought about making a call to Merly then realized my cellphone is both out of power and no longer in service range. I had a sense this would happen yet I brought the phone if only to show Merly what my cellphone looks like and how it functions. One of the airport staff saw me momentarily studying the payphone bay. He inquired if I was alright. I explained I was actually waiting for my family and he indicated that people usually wait in the direction he pointed to. I decided to follow his advice and slung my bag onto my back and follow some of the other passengers to the waiting crowd. As I approached the crowd, I observed some were shouting names and others were holding large white cards with names written boldly on them. I was actually stunned to see my name AL LOVETT on one of the cards and I locked onto it and saw it my ate Loly holding the card and waving and smiling. Eunice was texting her cellphone to Merly that contact was established and kuya William was smiling as well. I reached across the security gate to hold Loly's hand and called her name. Loly responded with 'God Bless you' and I greeted Eunice and William. I separated from them and proceeded to the passenger exit on the sidewalk. I restrained myself from displaying too much emotion. Loly and Eunice arrived and I gave each a hug. William had disappeared elsewhere and would meet with us eventually. A momentary thought flashed in my mind in that I was hugging my family; not friends. Loly indicated she had my reservation papers for my domestic flight to Tacloban. I was stunned to notice from the time I stepped outside to the moment Loly, Eunice and I were together, my shirt was already damp on the underarms and where the shoulder straps were. I assumed my back was damp also. Ate Loly asked on of the security which direction domestic flights were and if at all possible they could stay with me since this was my very first time to the Philippines. The guard gave directions but he could not make the final decision about they accompaniment. The domestic terminal was no more than five minutes walking distance. As we approached, Eunice called Merly and I was allowed to speak with her. I could only imagine her beautiful face grinning without control and feeling so excited. She giggled then said 'Welcome to the Philippines' and we spoke a minute longer then disconnected. The three of us arrived to the domestic area gate. Loly spoke to the guard and explain out situation. At first the guard was hesitant then he gave permission for Loly and Eunice to sit with me since I had a three hour wait. The first activity I wanted and needed to do was to change out of my shirt. It was damp enough to be icky all over. With a fresh shirt on I returned to Loly and Eunice. They were concerened for me as they listened to the news about the southern California wildfires. I explained my geographical location in regards to the fires and I could sense the relief from Loly. Another topic of discussion was my intentions with Merly. I explained proudly I will first ask permission from the parents to have Merly's hand to marry then I will officially ask her. (even though for the last several months Merly and I have called each other husband and wife to each other) Loly mentioned with pride that Merly graduated with honors. I was aware of Merly's graduation but I received it with happiness as I thought to myself she is a smart lady despite her unassuming insistence. William finally arrived and after a brief explanation to indicate he was with us, he was allowed to pass through.The time had arrived to allow only ticketed passengers further into the terminal. I waited to the last possible moment to stay with Loly, William and Eunice then I shouldered my bag and proceeded inside.
I went through the standard security checks as I did in san francisco of removing the shoes, belt and anything that could alert the sensors. I was also thoroughly padded down. Again big bear was touched by a couple of the male security guards with a grin. One of them asked if it was for my sweetie. I smiled and responded oh yeah... All three of us had the universal guy smile on. After redressing, I went to the ticket counter to get my boarding pass. I was in line for about 10 minutes then it was my turn. The transaction was simple and straightforward then I went to the next area of the passenger waiting. I found my departure gate and located a seat to wait for the next hour. My thoughts were mixed of how far I have travelled and how close I was to Merly. In less than two hours I will be holding my lady. The PA system announced my flight number and departure gate was preparing to accept passengers. I secured my shoulder bag and grabbed big bear and followed the other passengers into line. Boarding the plane was different this time. We took a shuttle bus from the terminal to the waiting plane. The second I stepped off the bus, I could again feel the humidity. I think I mentally adjusted to always expect humidity during my stay as this time it was nothing to give further thought to. I climbed the stairs into the aircraft and found my seat. About 15 minutes later, I was in the air cruising just 1 hour away from my Merlywinda.



No comments: