13 November 2007

Day 2 Part-A

It was early morning about 430-500Am when I woke up. I could feel the warmth of Merly next to me. She had awakened about the same time as me. We snuggled closer then kissed and hugged as the morning light gradually became brighter. As 7Am approached, we sat up on the edge of the bed, a loud rumbling and shaking occurred for what I guess about 5-8 seconds. On the fourth second, my brain processed we were experiencing an earthquake. Never in a 'zillion' years did I expect to feel an earthquake in the Philippines. When it was over, all I simply did was smile and say "oh Wow!". Reluctantly (not for fear of another quake) we separated to take showers then prepare for church services. While Merly took her shower, I gave consideration of what I would say to Pastor Ronnie's congregation. Back home I had suspected that I would be asked to say a testimony of sorts. Back then, I could dismiss it for later thought. Well, later has arrived and I had given my word I will say something. I chose Psalm 37:23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the LORD, And He delights in his way. I would speak of how when I finally put my need into God's hands I can trace the path to Merly. Once dressed and looking like the best couple ever, I gave Merly several gifts specifically to her that we had originally planned to ship to her in September. Among the gifts were the burgundy, Fairfield print tee shirt and other shirts of mine she wanted to wear, a pair of shorts, and a Jack Bauer styled shoulder bag. She delightfully accepted each item I presented to her and started transferring some of her items into the Bauerbag. Before leaving the room, another quake shook but not as bad as the previous event.

It was time to go and stepping outside the room I was reminded of the level of humidity in the air. It was not so bad as the previous day; but, enough for me to take notice. Merly and I casually walked to the roadside to wait for the next transportation. A couple motorscooters whizzed by in the opposite direction we wanted. Each time both driver and rider gave Merly and me long curious looks. Obviously it was because I was the foreigner with a local. I had expected such looks and mentally prepared myself for it. I was not bothered in the least for the curious scrutiny. About a minute later, a mid sized bus came along going in our direction. We stepped on and it was filled to the maximum with passengers so we had to stand. It was not so bad to stand near the doorway as I have done countless times before when riding the bus. Again I could sense the curious looks on me. My sunglass clip on lenses to my prescription glasses were dark enough so I could appear to be unaware of being watched. The actual ride to our destination was about three minutes. Merly signaled for our stop and then we hopped off in front of a small group of guys. Once again the curious onlooks of Merly and me. Inside I was giggling like a schoolboy with the latest video game as the curious stares examined us. Merly only acknowledged the looks with a smile then we proceeded across the road to her church: Living Faith Christian Fellowship. We stepped inside for a moment. Merly said something to one of the worship team players, Bengie. They both laughed then Merly redirected us to the house next door. As it turns out the home was of her elder brother Reynelo, his wife Analiza and their youngest daughter Shawe.(Eunice is the elder daughter) Services was not starting for another 30 minutes so we had time to have a small breakfast together and for the family to get to know me. I tried to focus on Merly's conversation with the others so I could learn more words; but, my mind and senses were processing other elements at full speed. Besides the feeling of the level of humidity, the sounds of the roosters was dominate. Being a city person, the rooster calls was fascinating at its most basic. I suppose this is in part of my living with pet birds. The sense of taste for all that has been consumed since the beginning of my travel to Merly has been memorable including this morning. Visually, I felt relaxed, at home and secure. There was never any thought of danger for my safety. In compiling all of the sensory inputs, there were moments which reminded me of what is like to live in my birthplace of Marianna Florida. I have vague memories of visiting when I was a teen. I look at photos from Marianna, I see country architecture and a rural sense. The overall sensations were comforting. My covert precessing of the incoming sensations were interrupted when Merly asked if I was nervous or cold. She and I think her brother had observed the slight trembling in my hands. I felt a hint of embarrassment because they witnessed my tremors. Without looking at them, I replied I was not either cold or nervous. I then explained that it was actually hyperactive nerves ready to take action. The explanation was accepted without further inquiry. That was the only time during my stay with Merly I felt bad about myself.
It was time for Merly and I to saunter our way back to the church. From what I could observe, it appeared to be a small sized building with the other rooms located in back. The sanctuary was about the size of what I would consider an American classroom. I liked the architecture of it being open air. Now windows at all; just wrought iron grating. Merly introduced me to Pastora Genalou. She was quite pleasant and with a massive smile. I was guessing the quick dialog between Merly and Pastora was about me as the both looked into my direction. Merly had the humble approving smile I had started to recognize and Pastora had a different type of approving smile in the kind that Merly had chosen a good man. I quickly learned and accepted this scene would be repeated many more times this week. Merly and I took our seating second row from the front. I never asked if this was her usual place. Not that it actually mattered. Sitting anywhere with Merly is a delight and a growing need as I continue to bond and imprint to her. I watched Merly speak with both Bengie and Pastora Genalou then she casually surveyed the music equipment and looked over the song line up. The Praise and Worship team had arrived at different intervals and began warming up. Since I was sitting in the front rows, I could hear more members of the congregation assemble in and take seats. As curious as I was to see the people, I restrained myself to not intentionally look back. I made a mental note that I would always have some reason other than curiousity to look back; such as a twisting stretch motion at the waist or some other action that would disguise my curiousity. My seating preference is in the back so I can observe congregations and crowds in general without the obvious appearance of staring. Merly came to sit next to me and we made eye contact then smiled. Without any vocal sound, I said the words 'I love you' and she repeated the three words in the same manner. Pastor Ronnie, his wife Pastora Davina and their two daughters arrived. Pastora Davina had taken the first row seats directly in front of Merly and me. Pastor Ronnie shook my hand with great joy and asked again if I would say a few words to the congregation later. I smiled back and said I would. At that moment, I could feel the shyness in crowd sensation starting to build. In my mind's eye I could see a digital stopwatch with the number racing to the moment when I would have to get up in front of the people. I leaned over to Merly and whispered with admission I was already starting to feel nervous. Her reply was of calmness that only she could do and said for me to just say a few words like 'thank you for your prayers on my flight' or something to that affect. Amazing such easy common sense!
The services began with Merly taking position at the side of the podium and took one of the microphones. She quickly turned to the worship team to confirm their readiness then turned back to the congregation. Merly invited the people to stand and begin to sing and worship. For the first time, I was able to actually observe my Merly singing. She would challenge me to say she is not the best singer; but, I would glady argue it. I was totally impressed with her singing ability. I was not a person to be judgemental in this respect since I never thought my voice was good enough to sing. I would have to say the only element I had problem with was the sound level. Three guitars, electric key board, and drumset were more loud than I was used to. I think it was only because of being in a smaller space than what I was used to in my church. Other than that, I had a wonderous time during the worship service.


After the worship, Pastor Ronnie began his portion for the services. He spoke in English for the most part. His segment lasted for about what I guess was 30 minutes then he concluded and prayed. I kept the facial expression suppressed as I tried to comprehend why the services were over so early then I understood. Pastor Ronnie's portion was actually Sunday School. My theory was confirmed as some of the congregation remained in their seats and spoke with others while some of the congregation gathered in groups of two or more. Services began with the worship team once again performed several songs. The next segment was when Pastora Davina did a call for tithe and offerings. Something deep inside me said Pastor Ronnie was going to call on me. Merly had returned to sit next to me and I was still feeling the nervous excitment grow. She was able to read my expression; and without explanation to her, Merly replied that I would be alright. I rolled my eyes and took a quiet deep breath with a smile as my motion to agree with her. I said to her that I was OK enough to have my moment and say what I had planned. Merly smiled approvingly with trust. I returned my focus to Pastor Ronnie. As he spoke to the congregation, I was able to understand some of his words. After enough English words and translated words, I became aware he was introducing me. Now my heart was racing. That sense of nervousness to stand in front of a group of people was flooding me and imobilizing my upper arms. I fought back the sensations as Merly looked to me with a smile of pride. The introductions were done and I stood up and approached Pastor Ronnie and took the microphone. I then stood behind the podium and looked onto the congregation. To be honest, they were all pleasant in appearance and quite welcoming. I tried to suppress any hint of a shaking voice or trembling muscles as best as I could. Once I got started with speaking, I felt slightly better. Even though I knew the theme of my few words, I improvised decently and concluded to the approved smiles of the congregation. I returned the microphone to Pastor Ronnie and sat down next to Merly. I do not recall Pastor Ronnie's sermon. What I do remember is the rain. My attention was distracted to the pattern of rain. At first it came down light then it started to increase. I was observant to the fact the rain was now coming down hard yet it not come inside through the open wrought iron grates. Another element I noticed that the temperature did not feel cold as I had grown up to expect living in northern California. The rains had stopped and the landscape had dried decently long before Pastor Ronnie concluded his sermon. The details of some moments came back as the sermon concluded. I could now recall praying in groups of three and the church wide prayers for one lady that was preparing to begin OFW (Overseas Filipino Workers) in Dubhai. At the end of services, I had the opportunity to meet the congregation and shake hands. Merly had quietly said the next we would do is return to Chamorita and prepare for the church picnic. I stepped outside with Merly and while I crossed the road to get a photo of the church, Merly had arranged for Pastor Ronnie to shuttle some of the youth as well as Merly and I.

Now the congregation will observe Merly and me in a different setting.

No comments: