12 November 2007

Day 1 Part-D

I would guess about 20 minutes into the flight to Tacloban I finally started to feel drowsy. Again the drone of the aircraft engines were a wordless lullaby. I let myself drift away into dreamless sleep. When I opened my eyes, I could look out the window and see the land, water and cloud formations below us. I always marvelled at such imagery; to be above the clouds. The cabin crew did the usual passing out drinks and snacks. I accepted orange juice to drink and pocketed the snacks into one of the four cargo pockets of my pants. (Cargo pant pockets are the 1st wonder of my world!) I was sitting in the middle seat. The two passengers on both sides of me were reading the newspapers. I caught glimpses of the reports of the Glorietta2 situation and some other items of little interest. My thoughts were increasing as I was flying to Merly. I do not recall time passing either faster or slower; but, the announcement came we were starting our decent from cruising altitude to Tacloban. Months became weeks, weeks became days, days became hours, now I was only minutes away from the lady I had been attracted to for over a year now. I could see out of the window our descent and then we passed through a cloud layer. There was very slight turbulence and once we broke through the layer, the ground was visible again. The one element that struck me both head on and broadsided was how green everything was. I could not remember seeing so much green before. Soon enough, our flight began the final approach to the airport. The aircraft did a banking manuever and I was able to see the land and water better. I thought I was able to ID a small fishing boat. I was able to see residential areas. My impression of what I was seeing was quite favorable. The airport appeared to be small sized; but, large enough to handle domestic traffic daily. I could see tall trees I thought were palm trees. I think they were actually banana trees since I had never seen a live banana tree before. Again the hue of green was drowning. I knew this color element was going to be so welcoming and relaxing. The aircraft was now in position for final approach and I could feel the excitment building again. Within moments we had touched down safely at DZ Romauldez Airport, Tacloban. Again for the third time, I could feel the deacceleration as I was slightly pressed against the seatbelt and hear the roar of the engines change the pitch in sound. The cabin crew gave the arrival speech as the plane made its slow taxi to the terminal. I felt my heart beat above normal. I was starting to feel nervous in my upper arms and shoulders. Was it fatigue or excitement? I did not know or care. I was now minutes and literally several hundred feet away from the most beautiful lady in the known universe. The plane had come to a stop and immediately the passengers rose to exit. Some reached for their baggage in the overhead bins and some pulled from underneath the seat ahead of them. I stood to take my shoulderbag and bigbear from the overhead bin then waited for most of the passengers to exit. I was among the last so I went to the lavatory to change into the sky blue colored shirt Merly and I had decided I would wear on our very first meet. After changing into the short sleeved shirt, I stepped out onto the stairway and felt the humidity again while the temperature was pleasant enough. I felt something on my face and mentally noted that I was already perspiring. When I felt the second sensation, I then realized that it was not perspiration but rather the first drops of rain. I got inside the passenger arrival section just as the rain began to fall just enough to dampen the ground. The baggage claim area was small in comparison to Centennial 2 in Manila. Another element that added slight problem to the claim area was the baggage carousel was still under construction. The baggage was offloaded from the aircraft and brought inside then the skycabs placed them in one section for passenger retrieval. I waited patiently to ID my bag as the skycabs arranged the luggage. Obviously my big black bag was very similar to other bags. Two offloading trips had come and gone and my bag was still not among either batches. A flight from Cebu Pacific Airlines had arrived and the passengers were now filling the claim area to capacity. Once again my baggage was among the last group to be offloaded and brought inside. I was able to recognize it; but because of the amount of people now in the area, it took me about 3 minutes to politely squeeze my way through and hoist up my bag. Now to escape the slow moving mass of bodies took about 2 minutes as I coursed to the nearest exit. Once the security guard confirmed my ownership of my bag, I was free to leave the claim area into the front area of the airport. I was quickly reminded of how heavy my bag was and I should configure it to backpack mode. I found an open spot near the exit and approached it to make the adjustments. As I adjusted the straps, I noticed what I assumed was a mother and adult daughter closely watching my actions. I did not return their stares because I had the attitude that they were simply curious. Just as I was in the process of slinging the bag onto my back and sliding my arms throught, I caught a brief glimpse of Merly. I think she was attepting to catch my attention by waving and smiling while holding her umbrella. I could now hear and feel my pulse in my ears. I got my packbag adjusted on my back then proceeded out among the waited crowd. I saw Merly approach to intercept me the moment I exited the gate to the parking lot. I bit the inner walls of my mouth with the intention I would not be able to smile too much. That effort failed grandly as the moment Merly and I finally met, I handed her bigbear, gave her a hug at the shoulder and an affectionate kiss to her cheek.

First contact was established 16 July 2006
First touch and kiss on 27 October 2007
1 year 3 months 11 days.


In my overwhelming excitement of finally holding and kissing Merly, I have vague memory of being introduced to Pastor Ronnie and his wife Pastora Davina. I can only remember walking and holding Merly as the four of us approached Pastor Ronnie's car. I am now with my Merlywinda was the repeated thought. I could not stop smiling. Pastor Ronnie opened the trunk and I slung my main bag off my back and shoulderbag in. I got into the back seat with Merly then Pastor Ronnie and Davina took their seats in front. The pure joy of being next to Merly was beyond normal description. I felt the exhaustion from little sleep steadily rise and with no intention of stopping regardless of my control. I kept my mind active by observing with all of my senses as much as I was able to. Still my mind was getting mushy both from lack of sleep and the happiness of being next to Merly. I looked intently into her face to rememorize every detail I had fallen in love with from photos and through the webcam. For the first time, I gently reached up then turned her face to me and we kissed. In that moment, time stopped. The world was not my focus. It was only Merly and Me. It felt good; real good. After the kiss, I took her hand and we without looking interlaced our fingers as we held hands. Pastora Davina asked a question I think was how my flight was. My brain now tired defaulted to an American mindset and I spoke in my normal patterns about my experience at sfo. Pastora Davina and Merly smiled and giggled because Pastora's English was not so good and I was for the most part not understood. In that brief and embarrassing moment, I made the conscious effort to alway talk slowly and clearly during my stay. I smiled and apologized for my babbling. Merly and Davina conversed briefly then she asked if I was hungry. I quickly recalled our plan to go to Jollibee's on my arrival so I said yeah I should eat.
We stayed in Tacloban to eat at the local Jollibee's. In the short distance from the airport to Jollibee's the weather changed to moderate drizzle (just not heavy enough for real rain hahaha) Inside the restaurant, Pastor Ronnie went to select seats, Pastora Davina gave their choices then Merly and I went to the counter to place the order. Surreptitiously, I handed Merly the Pesos I had exchanged for in Manila. I was amazed that she received it just as stealthily and placed it in her purse. After a few minutes of decisions, our order was placed and I took the food tray while Merly took the drinks then we made our way to Pastor Ronnie. I sat next to Pastor Ronnie opposite to Merly so I could enjoy gazing at such beauty while at eat. We said grace for our meal then began. I was thinking of all the previous times Merly and I had eaten together while chatting. Now I am eating with her live and direct. It simply felt so good to be with her. The conversation started about from where I was from and my age. When Pastor Ronnie realized I was from California, he asked (as did ate Loly in Manila) if I was affected by the wildfires. I responded with a very basic geography lesson about where Fairfield was in relation to the fires. I could see both understanding and relief in their expressions. When they were made aware of my age of 44, they seemed so suprised in commenting that I appeared to them as to be in my mid 30s. This observation would be replayed for the duration of my visit. Eating and smalltalk continued then it was time to begin the three hour drive to Naval. Everyone got up and proceeded to leave; but out of habit, I began to bus our table. Merly kept calling for me to follow and once I had the table somewhat cleaned up, I followed along. One of the most significant observations I was able to take notice of was the traffic and driving techniques. I would have to say that element was the real and only culture shock I allowed myself to experience. The driving practice of overtaking a slower vehicle is common and most expected since most streets are one lane each way. Just blow the horn to let the slower vechicle or pedestrian of your approach and intention. What I found strange is that even though this driving technique is foreign to me, I had become relaxed enough to allow myself to take a brief nap during the drive. I was still excited about the the previous 17 hours and I wanted to observe everything possible with all my senses. As much as I wanted to stay awake, I felt my body starting to shut down to rest. My stomach was full enough, I was now next to my most precious lady and holding her hand. I teased her to ask if she was ready to give bigbear back. Her response was cute in that she squeezed tighter and pulled bigbear away from any potential grabs by me.
I honestly do not recall the drive to Naval taking 2-3 hours. I can remember moments of certain locations and the abundance of green. Either I had fallen asleep for part of the drive or my being with Merly altered my sense of time. I would prefer to choose the combination of both. Eventually, we arrived to Chamorita beach resort; Merly & Mine's home for the next 10 days. As I offloaded my gear from the trunk of the car, Pastor Ronnie asked if I would say a few words to the congregation during church services. I reluctantly agreed. I am not a pastor and I get real nervous speaking. Well God guided me to Merly, provided safe flight to the Philippines, safe flight and road travel to Chamorita so I can trust Him to give the the heart and mine of what to say. Merly and I thanked them for coming to getting me at the airport then she and I went to our room. Psychologically and physically I was now operating on reserve power and it was nearly drained. I had enough mind to take the first few photos of Merly and me outside our room but my tired muscles shook enough to cause blurry images. I plopped myself on the bed and Merly layed down beside me. Just before I went into total shutdown to get some sleep, we kissed then everything was a dreamless sleep. I seem to think there was a moment when Merly stepped outside. I just don't know and did not fully care. I trusted and loved her and continued my dreamless sleep. I woke up to Merly coming to lay down next to me. She was watching me sleep. She also came to inform me that her mother, elder sister Nida and her husband Ondo had come to Chamorita to meet me. That statement awakened me to full consciousness. After a quick kiss, I changed into a fresh shirt and pants and went out to meet them. We walked to the beachfront bungalows and I was able to now meet nanay Lucena Machete after a few times of speaking on the phone and a couple of webcam meets. It was another special treat to meet her in person. Merly's elder sister Nida was another I was pleased to meet. I had the opportunity to provide som assistance to her a few months earlier and I also had a brief glimpse of her by webcam. Now I had the joy to meet her live. Nida's husband Ondo was very pleasant to meet. I had gifts of appreciation; a pair of earings and necklace set for Nanay and Nida and a sportswatch for Ondo, and passed them out. Merly helped me with the gift selections. The conversation among Merly, Nanay Lucena and Nida was fast. Even though I listened carefully, I was only able to understand a few words. The sequence pattern was Merly would converse then she would translate for me. The reoccuring comment was about me. Both Nanay Lucena and ate Nida would make comments of how much a gentleman I was and handsome in their judgements. I can only guess that I would blush when hearing such compliments. I have rarely been complimented as enthusiastically. It was something I would have to accept and get used very quickly. I would reply to the compliments with Maraming salamat po. They smiled and laughed at my efforts and seemed rather pleased. It was soon time they had to leave and we separated for the evening. It had been a few hours since eating at Jollibee's so Merly ordered pancit and fried chicken. As we waited for the food to arrive, I met and chatted with the manager. Another man joined in our conversation and I learned he was from Central California. It was interesting to speak to another Californian who had made Biliran his home. Both did ask my reasons for the visit and I honestly replied to see Merly and the Machete family. They welcomed me to the Philippines and specifically to Biliran. The food was served and Merly and I began to eat. The food was simply good and filling. After eating Merly and I strolled back to our room listening to the kareoke session.

Once inside our room, I lounged on the bed for a bit of Tv and Merly layed with me. I could feel the exhaustion take full effect on me. I was beyond tired. I needed to get some sleep so I could be ready to attend church service in the morning. I pulled Merly closer to me and hugged her tightly. I looked into her beautiful eyes and said how happy I was to be with her. She smiled back and shared the exact same sentiments. We kissed and prepared to sleep.

It has been a long day. It has been so worth the journey. I have never ever been this happy. I am so blessed and grateful to belong to Merlywinda. I said my prayers of thanks for the safe flight and went to sleep next to the most beautiful lady in the known universe.



No comments: